Monday, February 11, 2008

brick broken



So, I was just sitting around tonight listening to a few records and playing some skate when the power went out. It was about 8:00. I had no idea what I was going to do. I thought about going to bed, but instead I started playing with my phone. As anyone who owns a Blackberry knows, every Blackberry comes preloaded with the game Brick Breaker. This game is pretty fun at first, then you usually get to some level and can never pass it and it becomes annoying as fuck. I never really tried too hard at it, it was always just a good way to pass a few minutes from time to time.

Well, tonight was different. All I had was time. I started up a new game and something just felt different. There was something in the air tonight as I sat in my basement in the complete darkness looking at the tiny screen on my phone playing this game. Things were going quite well and I kept thinking to myself "Is this possible? Could this really happen tonight?" but I always pushed those thoughts out thinking I might just jynx myself. I realized once I passed level 16 (worst level) and still had over 10 lives that tonight history was to be made. I kept powering through, alone in the dark. As level and level went by, I couldn't believe how close I was getting. I reached level 30 and still had 7 lives. "Be still my racing heart." I told myself as I knew I still had a ways to go. After level 32 the power came back on. This was a critical moment in the evening. Should I just throw my phone down and resume my normal evening activities? NO. There was no question. I had gone too far to turn back now.

Level 32 completed. Heart racing.

Level 33 was a peice of cake. I have included a screenshot of this moment.



Level 34. 11 lives. This is really happening.

I anxiously pushed the OK button to look into the heart of the great beast. One single brick to break. I was somewhat surprised, but I knew it would not be easy. I soldiered on. The ball sped up with every bounce, but eventually hit the brick. "Two more to go" I thought. Suddenly, it was like time stood still. It was like in the matrix when Neo was dodging all of those bullets with ease. Regardless of how fast the ball was moving it was easy to reach it. The ball headed back towards the final brick and hit it. "One more hit to go." I exclaimed. As the ball rocketed around at mock 10 on the screen of my Blackberry, it entered the column containing the final, fragile brick. It then crumbled just as all of it's peers had in the short time leading up to this historic event.

I couldn't believe it. I actually beat Brick Breaker. I was ready for the abundant congratulations I was sure to receive for beating this challenging game. As any video game enthusiast will tell you a satisfying ending will make all of your hard work worth it. This is what I saw next.




WHAT



THE



FUCK.



I was surprised and disgusted as you are, and if you are too shocked to believe what you are seeing its true: IT JUST WENT BACK TO LEVEL 1 AND THATS IT. Seriously....I don't know what to say. I mean, that wasn't easy and you'd think I deserved SOMETHING after all of that, but no. I guess it does this so people can chase some ultimate high score, but fuck that. Fuck Blackberry and fuck Brick Breaker. I own you both.


-Andrew

1 comment:

Nothing Doing said...

i myself cannot belive that you have done this. are you very gifted with photoshop?